The previous email was written prior to the development of new information. The edit in this email only impacts #4 below. We are unable to livestream our service due to inadequate bandwidth. Please stay tuned for a follow up email that addresses the administration of the corporate gathering going forward. We apologize for the confusion.
GraceLife Church recognizes and acknowledges the serious nature of the current situation vis-à-vis the Covid-19 or “Coronavirus” our society and indeed the world currently faces. We understand that new information and data continues to develop and emerge regarding the spread, containment and impact of this virus. In light of the uncertainty and unknown impact of this health risk we understand that our governments, at all three levels (national, provincial and municipal) are taking extraordinary measures to combat the spread of this virus. We further understand that some curtailment of liberties, freedoms and rights are necessary for the common good. In keeping with the scriptural mandate to obey our government so long as the Scripture itself isn’t violated or sin is promoted (Rom. 13:1-7; 1 Pet. 2:13-20) we will adhere to the government’s guidelines and requirements.
We do, however, recognize that the potential for some tension exists when it comes to fully complying with the government when it comes to our obligations to gather and worship together as Christians. We are commanded to meet together regularly for corporate worship (Heb. 10:23-25). We are to hear the public proclamation of the gospel (preaching – Mark 16:15; Acts 10:42; 2 Tim. 4:1-4). We are enjoined to worship together in song, praise and prayer (Eph. 5:18-21; Col. 3:16-17). We are commanded to celebrate our Lord’s Supper (1 Cor. 11:23-34) and to baptize new believers (Acts 2:41-42; 8:12-13, 35-39). From time to time we even need to carry out church discipline when/as necessary (Matt. 18:15-20). Finally, we are commanded to love and serve one-another which can only occur as we meet together either corporately or individually (Mark 9:50; Jn. 13:34; Rom. 12:4-18; 1 Cor. 12:20-26; Gal. 5:13-14 Eph. 4:25-32; Php. 2:3-4; Heb. 3:13; Jas. 5:16; 1 Jn. 4:7).
In response to the foregoing, GraceLife Church is implementing the following practical measures.
- We encourage each member to consider their own and other members’ health and safety as a major priority. If you are sick or suspect you have been in contact with someone sick, please stay home and stay safe (self-isolate). Please contact your mid-week study leader, the administrative assistant or an elder and advise him of your status should that happen. Please relay any requests or needs to us so we can adequately pray, care and support you during this time.
- We are cancelling all Sunday school classes and all nursery support services for the time being, until further notice.
- We are selectively continuing or cancelling all mid-week programs/meetings based on the ministry leaders’ evaluation of the current situation (I.e. personal health/energy, anticipated turnout, new government regulations, etc.) Notifications will be made by e-mail, app or website advising of the status of each program or ministry. If you haven’t heard from anyone, please reach out and contact the church administrator for an update on what is proceeding and what has been cancelled.
- We are continuing with Sunday morning worship service at the church facility. We will seek to accommodate up to the current maximum allowed (50). Please stay tuned for a follow up email.
- All events and activities slated to proceed will adhere insofar as possible to government regulations and guidelines. This includes the curtailment of large gatherings, adhering to strict sanitation requirements and practicing social distancing as suggested.
We trust our God during these challenging times that He is sovereign and in control over everything that happens (Ps. 31:14-16; 147:7-11; Acts 17:24-28). He knows our condition and our lives (Ps. 139:1-18). We have no need to fear because He cares for us and loves us (Ps. 56:3-4; Prov. 3:24-26; Isa. 12:2; Php. 4:6-8).
The elders of GraceLife Church thank each and every member for their ongoing support, encouragement, generosity and outpouring of love both in the past and now during these times. What a privilege, blessing and joy it is to be part of this body of believers!”